“New Year, New Me” has got to be the most annoying phrase you start to see recurring endlessly on social media between Dec 26- Dec 31. Plus, lets not forget the “___ is getting left in (insert current year)”. People use the New Year as an excuse to do what they should’ve done months ago. You no longer want someone in your life, so you wait till the date changes to make that cut? Where is the logic… Every single day of life should be about personal growth. Especially considering, this life is not promised, and tomorrow doesn’t come for everyone.
Nevertheless, I’m all for using the New Year to set new personal goals. However, I don’t believe the New Year should mean a “New Me”. The New Year is about striving to be a better me and applying the lessons I’ve learned in the past year to continue to grow. The New Year is about the Glo Up; emotionally, spiritually, physically (God-willing) and mentally.
So as I reflect on the past year and all that I have learned, to welcome the New Year I have compiled the 17 lessons that 2016 brought me:
- Your inner peace is not something you should fuck with. Don’t ever compromise your peace for something or someone and don’t underestimate the repercussions of doing so.
- Pretty Privilege is a real thing and you should capitalize on it as often as the opportunity presents itself.
- Haters exist and they will bring clouds negativity with their hater selves, keep your distance.
- Surround yourself with uplifting and positive individuals.
- Music is the cure.
- Always be proactive and remember “If not you then who?”
- Don’t ever underestimate what you’re capable of handling; we are greater than we think we are.
- Be direct. Communication saves relations, real talk.
- You are a black woman, this country is not set up for you, acknowledge your position in this world and be better than everyone else at what you do.
- Read and then tell others what you read so they can read too.
- Comparison is the thief of joy.
- Feel it out, you’ll get over it eventually but not till you take the time to feel.
- Slay, always. You’re never doing “too much”.
- Pray about it.
- Don’t second guess your creativity, explore it.
- Sharing words of encouragement takes 20 sec out of your life and can impact someone for a lifetime.
- Embrace the uncertainty of the future, but remember to enjoy the present.
Happy New Year!
+vibes only, always.